Friday, November 12, 2004

Colour

Earlier today, I posed a question I had stolen from somewhere to a friend. I asked, "when did our collective memory shift from black-and-white to colour?" Now, by this I don't mean to ask when colour photography or colour film was invented or implemented. What I'm going for is the moment where one more barrier to the resemblance of the copy (the simulacrum) to real life was struck down. The time when we began to think of great world events in terms of pictures and footage that resembled real life to a much greater extent than before. Obviously this did not happen in one day, but I'm willing to bet it can be narrowed down to a year. I thought it might have some social implications that I won't cover here, because, let's face it, this is not a journal of modern culture, although I do like the word "postmodern" and will probably be using it every chance I get.

Anyway, Beatlemania, circa 1963, was black-and-white, as I recall. Kennedy was black-and-white; Martin Luther King was black-and-white. I think the seventies were definitely in colour, so where is the transition? I'm looking for opinions here. I'm down to a seven-year period, but that simply won't do.

Consider: "the true benefits of a randomly educated imagination. By this, I'm espousing learning for learning's sake, sort of letting the currents take you where they will. I've found this online encyclopedia to be an excellent tool. The fact that it is hyperlinked to such an extreme extent has helped me stumble on facts I otherwise would never even consider."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen votes for Woodstock 1969, which was in colour (remember Jimi's headband?). Of course, the Beatles turned colour sometime in '67, with Magical Mystery Tour, but they were always ahead of their time.

2:20 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

Thanks, all.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://izmgfgxl.com/uxip/hmum.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://resqfkex.com/dqqj/yqxk.html]Cool site[/url]

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://izmgfgxl.com/uxip/hmum.html | http://xvkgirvv.com/vcnq/fjvh.html

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home