Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Moving furniture--Dishes--Mind "like wow"

I'm still getting settled into this new pattern of not shutting myself up in my room, not writing something that could potentially be viewed by anybody. In a fit of egotism (and, let's face it, work-shirking) I installed a site meter. Now I can count how many hits (excluding myself) I get.

New choose-your-own-metaphor feature:

If this site were a house, installing the counter is like a) moving the couch from the window side of the room to the other side, where I may look out into the resplendent beauty of my maple tree b) replacing the ringer on my phone with a buzzer 20 decibels louder so I can crank my music c) rocking out to a non-existent dance beat naked while Catholic and Hebrew school students trek to their respective schools d) more than one of the above.

I'd post a poll, but I haven't got the wherewithal to do so yet.

Having finished that bit of housekeeping, I spent a few hours browsing other people's blogs; first my friends' than complete strangers'. The variety of things people write about, and the variety of coherence is striking. Also, has anybody else noticed that about a third of random hits are obviously blogs written by computer scripts to randomize it just enough so that the blog is not erased by the "authorities". It was a mostly pleasant walk through the neighbourhood; I got to see the ultrasound of a 20-week-old fetus and almost commented on it, read the Declaration of Independence in its entirety (I skimmed the boring parts) , saw the thought process of a soon-to-be-divorced person, read gothic ramblings, ashcan rantings, saw jokes, bad adolescent poetry, pictures of the rainforests, tractors, mountainsides, anime and, perhaps most importantly, YHWH Him(Her)self. This is a scary world, friends, a scary world of hope and love and little riverboats, genocide and baby formula, wrinkles and fault lines, metal tables and hammocks and many other binary opposites. I do not feel qualified to write about it, but I am grateful that there is a chance that these words may affect someone somehow. (Very lucid, that.)

Thought "for" "the" day: "if religion is a reflection of the human capacity for wonder at seemingly unscalable heights of the mind and spirit, I consider myself the most religious man I know. I wouldn't be caught dead in a church, synagogue etc., but I abase myself daily at the altar of what is mysterious, what has not yet been achieved, but may be. I do it in less pretentious terms while I walk."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what I get for doing my own random blog searching. Indeed, it IS disturbing. But at least it's aimed at the right people (the South):

"Well this gravy train is fucking over. Take your liberal-bashing, federal-tax-leaching, confederate-flag-waving, holier-than-thou, hypocritical bullshit and shove it up your ass."

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you check out www.swigsynewts.diary-x.com?

its the best blog known to man if i might say so myself.
i dug the quiz.. still deciding whether my answer is "all of the above" or "no more than two of the above"

11:46 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

I have checked swig's blog. But I remeber no survey. Well, maybe later.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://djmlvkxq.com/sfyo/oavl.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wrqinwmm.com/scby/uysm.html]Cool site[/url]

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://djmlvkxq.com/sfyo/oavl.html | http://kxxpqgjp.com/mcik/zgrs.html

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home