Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Post no bills

Walking by the gigantic construction site that has gripped College St., I saw (as I see almost every day) the building that I will probably do my grad work in. Now, the construction fence or wall (the barrier thing) is decorated with slogans hyping pharmaceutical and biomolecular research, with pictures of what are ostensibly students. The public relations people did a decent job of representing all races and two genders; I suppose it represents the "diversity" of the "dynamic" University of Toronto population; while I'm at it, I'll just throw in some more words: "progressive", "synergy", "action plan", "synergy", "networking", "paradigm", "human resources", "synergy" and so on ad nauseam.

What struck me initially, before my pointless attack on some words was the absence of unattractive people. I don't know how much time the people who put these boards together have spent inside scientifically-oriented buildings, but I'll tell them that's not the case. What kind of message does it send to someone like me, with my less-than-perfect skin, my asymmetrical face, my brow ridge and sloping forehead, and so on. I hope I get in on merit, because I'm not much of a poster-boy.

(Well, obviously; it's not like everyone didn't already know that. Still, I derive fiendish pleasure (not in that way, you sick bastard) from watching the word count rise and the scroll bar growing.)

I wonder, it is too early to start posting bad adolescent poetry? There are truly few things more fun to read.

Stolen thought: "in biology, the alternative to thinking in evolutionary terms is not to think at all."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home