Saturday, August 27, 2005

Sub-optimist

God, we are so viciously fucked.

I've been reading about peak oil. This was instigated, in part at least, by my friend who pops in from time to time and carries on about all the ways society can, and probably will, collapse. I agree with him. I've never been one to lead an optimistic lifestyle, and everything I see attests to our collective inability to tell our assholes from ground-holes. But oil seems to be at the bottom of so much; it is the fundament of so much of our shit. (It, quite literally, cooks our food for us, harvests our grain, powers our communications, drives our cars and trucks, explores for oil, pollutes our environment but also cleans our environment, brings us our water, heats our buildings, cools our buildings...)

Very quickly (in case you didn;t read the article): peak oil is the idea that when global oil production stops growing and so much as begins to decline, we're in for a world of shit. Once our extraction efforts start becoming less and less efficient, we'll be unable to power our economies, in which demand is growing. Note here that this is not the same as us running out of oil; we'll have some oil for at least a century in the future. The problem here is that our economy is based on this one ridiculous assumption: that we can sustain growth indefinitely. Which team of jackasses accepted this as gospel? You base your growth and peg it to a fucking non-renewable resource! Great fucking move! When armed militias begin forming after the oil crash, I want to line theswe people up in front of a wall and shoot them. (Nothing of the sort will happen, though; these profiteering assholes will be holed up in some fortress somewhere.) Anyway, the point is that peak oil will cause markets to go apeshit, and no human foresight can stop this. The market is greater than the sum of its traders.

But wait, you say. Alernative fuels and lifestyle changes can smooth this crash; something positive can emerge and our eceonemy can go on; morern industrial civilkization would be saved, or at least certain positive aspects of it, like decent individual freedom, tolerance, entertainment, electornics, science, art and so on. Nice thought; I wish that would happen. I'm all for it; I'm living that energy-reducing, recycling, non-car-driving, soon to be non-meat-eating lifestyle. But will most people do that? I maintain that people in large groups will never get their collective shit toghether; and this includes me, as much as I distance myself from it. An example: most people support public transit, but for other people. Responsibility ofr global catastrophes is diffused something fierce, to the point where it doesn't register. Ask yourself: how responsible do you feel on any given day for the old-growth forests that are cut down to bring you your "bathroom tissue"? How responsible do you feel for the brownish cloud of smog over your city? I won't belabour it; the list goes on. The markets--there go the fucking markets again--are not responsive enough to recognize the value of alternative energy until it's too late. Why? Well, partly because people in large groups are incapable of getting their shit together, but also becuase there is a fundamental inversion at work here. (Keep in mind I know practically jack-shit about economics.) It takes the form of this quote (which is in that article I linked to): "you can buy an apple for one euro. If you really want an apple, you might pay five euros. You could even pay a thousand euros, but you would never pay two apples." The apples here are oil. Markets ultimately trade energy and the products of energy consumption. Energy is more fundamental than market value; markets can only reflect the supply-and-demand situation of energy, they cannot shape it in any appreciable way. (I hope there's some fundamental flaw i nreasoning embedded here. It'd be nice.)

Of course, opinions differ on what will happen when we hit peak oil. I like to try to consider the worst: massive social unrest or war on a global scale; Ethiopian-style famine in first-world countries; massive profiteering and hoarding by corporations and the rich; the collapse of whatever egalitarianism we sought. So, when is it coming, this peak oil, this crash? Opinions vary, but even the most optimistic people don't put it much past 2015. That's right: 2015. This will happen in the prime of our lives; we'll have to deal with this shit. Or, more likely, we won't. If it's any consolation, it may already be too late, so the ones that fucked up were really the previous generation.

Consider: "Anything that can be done to a rat can be done to a human being. We can do just about anything you can imagine to rats. And closing your eyes and refusing to think about this won't make it go away."

8 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

A very interesting discussion about that here. The blogpost itself is utterly unconvincing tripe, but the discussion in the comments is worth a read (if you have the time).

3:05 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

I'm kind of hoping that happens with this post.

With regards to this, I'm hoping for the best and planning for the worst. It'd be great to sit back fifty years from now and consider the post I made utter tripe. Ah, if only the future were a little more predictable. Interesting times, ours.

Cheers!

5:58 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

I've been doing the inject-the-energy-crisis-at-inappropriate-times thing a bit too much lately.

As my reading progresses, my tone will probably become less upset and more resigned. The way I see it is this: we're more likely to have society collapse than to institute change rationally. But the odds of a "optimist" solution are not ridiculously small, so some modicum of hope is not in vain.

As for recipes: how about some vegan soul food? I leave the interpretation of that to you.

7:52 PM  
Blogger linda said...

One thing I learned in life is that...
No matter what.. Human being will survive.. We are just like that..
W/Oil and W/O oil we will tough it out..
Believe me I have toughed out a revolution a war, an immigration and still have no idea what should I write about the "Hardships," of my life for the grad school Personal Statement!!!!
Yeah it's going to be a tad bit harder I mean life
and there will be a bit more chaos
But there will always be better places, and worse places
There will always be developed countries and African Poverty..
Only on different scales...
Oil and W/O oil life will go on...
Actually becasue of my birth place I am entitled to more oil than the average citizen of the world...
So I will woryy less!!!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Y said...

The idea of paying for the fuck ups of another generation angers me. And I think it’s worse because I have been privileged thus far as to not really have felt any bigger (Ex.: sociopolitical) movement that has had any significant influence on my life and my choices… at least not in the sense my parents have felt with the Cultural Revolution for example. What we are heading towards (and god knows the uncertainty!) will most likely change the course of our lives and shape decisions for us, which is scary. And I know very well that despite my recycling, public transit taking self, I won’t be able to prevent anything that is to come…cue: put in concerned but powerless category.
But I think, despite all the uncertainty, the anger, the blame and the regrets, as long as there ARE humans (I guess, that remains to be determined. But I concur with Linda, there will be), civilization as we know it will exist. It will be different no doubt, but humans beings ,in necessary times, will despite all their fucking flaws, still be curious, innovative and determined to make their lives better, which is the essence (damn it that would be a great pun in French) of civilization.
I think, like you, society will hit a wall and mistakes (past and present) will blow up in our faces because most people still don’t see the urgency of the matter. However, so be it. We’ll just live through the transition, and well, who knows: it might turn out interesting. There is reconstruction in destruction…. And perhaps, in another age, it won’t take a fancy car, a 50 inch flat screen plasma TV, DIY Scandinavian furniture to make people happy. Maybe John Doe will replace Adam Smith. Maybe Pop will actually be good music… And hopefully, people will learn from their past mistakes this time around. Hopefully.

5:26 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

And, of course, we reach some sort of synthesis. In short: I'm sure we will survive, but it won't look like we've learned anything. Maybe the excesses of our age which drive me up the wall sometimes will abate, but they may be replaced with something more narrow-minded and repugnant. Who knows, right?

I guess it's the difference between the end of the world and the end of the world as we know it. It's easy to get along if you know nothing easier or "better"; but to fall is a pretty potent psychic hammer-blow. But this is one case where that pesky Hedonic Treadmill Effect works to establish an acceptable equilibrium.

I will still mourn for a society that, at least in principle, sought greater justice, more equal opportunity, that tried to change what many called (and still call) unchangeable: the explotiation of human by human. Because, after all, open minds need relative abundance and safety to grow in.

On a positive note, my family history is filled with just such falls and bounce-backs. Hell, my mother lost eveything in the last war, and she climbed back with a hellion of a weird child in tow. I hope I'll be able to continue the tradition.

Thanks for the (long) reads everyone. Nothing calms shrill fears like having to focus for a long time.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://eowldkqr.com/zbxw/jlqj.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://bgibgopl.com/jyvq/gbpj.html]Cool site[/url]

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://eowldkqr.com/zbxw/jlqj.html | http://qpfgdkdj.com/hjpp/gfzn.html

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home