Friday, July 29, 2005

Hokku

Sometimes, I'm the silly old man: voice droning on about some meaninglessly involved conceptual play, laughter but not concern crossing my features for fears of the eternal cliches, endless song choruses looping in my head when I should be focusing on social cognition. I fail to remember people's names because I consider them meaningless. (Sure, at one time they had meaning, but having someone try to understand or--worse even--live up to the demands of their name is an antiquated notion, like the State legislating morality or the sacredness of wedding vows.) So, here goes my attempt to cleanse my head of needless clutter and pierce through the veils over my eyes with a finely tempered and sharpened blade. Apologies to the friends that shared this moment. I know it's not a real hokku. Poetic forms have never been my strength. But it's hokku-esque, in intent if not in form:

Sunlight reflects on
The yellow ukulele
In the fruit market

It's the beginning of the end! He's begun to post poetry! Gods below, this can lead to no good.

Consider: "Where love rules, there is no will to power; and where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a poem by William Carlos Williams:

so much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

Although it's not Hokku, I think it shares in its simplicity.

6:49 AM  
Blogger A. D. said...

I, too, remember that poem. I like the image that gets conjured, but I've had conflicting and changing opinions on the poem itself. I'm not going to get into it, because I don't like to spill more words that are in the poem in analyzing it. But talk is cheap.

Cheers!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://rrwtfgmm.com/ttxw/ommy.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ebwckxlx.com/xdbs/vhdn.html]Cool site[/url]

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://rrwtfgmm.com/ttxw/ommy.html | http://wtjgollq.com/vqqo/prfs.html

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home