Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Hamtaro

All this thesis-antithesis crap, all this polarizing discourse, all this categorization is a giant sinkhole into which millions of people are happily strolling in the course of their "daily constitutionals" or whatever. I'd try to relate (hardcore) categorical thinking to environmental damage, or something important like that, but that would take too long, and too much effort.

This is why I will talk about Hamtaro. In case you, wretched creature, are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, sate your curiosity here. Now, it might be unexpected that I'd mention, or even admit that I have a great affection for that show, but in my headspace it makes perfect sense.

When I was in high school, this show was on in the mornings. It served as pleasant counterpoint to stress and all that self-consciousness and all that crowdedness and dirt and cynicism and nihilism. It is, in short, the antithesis of my values, but that does not mean I can't embrace that pleasant fiction. Why? Because Hamtaro does not judge; Hamtaro does not punish non-watchers. (Why does everyhting I talk about end up being religion-related somehow?) Hamtaro is how I'd like the world to be, but it says nothing about how it is, or how we get from the former to the latter. Hamtao is me embracing the "other", for we can co-exist, even in the same head, in the same pattern of actions, in the same sentence, even.

Consider: ""today sure was fun, and I'll bet tomorrow will be even better." Consider it, evaluate it, hope for it, but do not for a second believe it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home