Thursday, April 07, 2005

Aside, to himself

The dramatic device of the solliloquy in the middle of another conversation has been underused lately. Or maybe I just haven't been soaking up the drama.

Scene: a busy street

MARCEL: So that's over and done with, huh?
KATHY: I know. It's kind of sad. We were a pretty tight group of people. And now, just like that: strangers.
MARCEL: Well, it doesn't have to be like that.
KATHY: I guess not.
MARCEL: (aside, to himself) There! You see it? There's that opportunity, that "in", that wake-up call, whatever you want to call it. Go for it. Remember, you have to be unambiguous. You know what problems come from that. Ok. Now just remember: you can ask to get a cup of coffee, see her extracurricularly, whatever. And remember body language. Release some of the rein from your facial features. You want her. You've been setting up this moment for the past few weeks. Think about it; you're walking along here, to what? This is out of your way. You'll have to double back anyway. Come on! She likes the same things you do! She's pretty smart. And easy on the eyes. So what if it's a huge cliche? Life is the essence of repetitive, stereotyped behaviours. Ask for your coffee. There is absolutely no reason not to. You'll never see this person again if you offend her horribly. But that's impossible. She likes you. You make her laugh; you listen. Come on, wuss. She knows wat boys and girls do. I'd bet you a fucking falafel she'll be glad you asked. (to Kathy) So, what are your plans? What's coming next for you.
KATHY: Well, I've got a couple of months in the city, then I'm dispersing. I'm not sure to where. But somewhere away. Somewhere warm.
MARCEL: I wish I could do that. (Aside, to himself) You know what else, you could do? Not be a fucking idiot, you idiot. She just gave you a fucking signal. What kind of man are you? Men are supposed to overinterpret signals, not cower while they walk. Make eye contact! Jesus fucking holy christ! Look, if you don't to this, everyine you love wil ldrift away from you. They are laughing at you behind your back, you pathetic weakling man-child! It' not complicated. It's an ancient practice. Look, she's looking over at you. I said meet her gaze! Meet it! What are you afraid of? Doesn't all this idiocy seem repetitive? Look, be reasonable. She knows all your imperfections; she probably categorized you in the first fifteen seconds of seeing you. She hasn't run away. Come on! Marcel has needs too! You don't control others, but you are master of what you do. Reach out! Look! Here comes the bus stop. She knows you can't follow her there. Do it now! Look, there's a place across the street. Say it's to celebrate the end. It's a legitimate fucking celebration!
KATHY: Well, see you around.
MARCEL: Take care. (Aside, to himself) You know what? I think I'll refrain from spewing bile all over you. Your life is now hopeless, and so you're not worth the time. How boring. Fucking coward...

Consider: "we must find meaning in the meaningless odyssey. It is our very nature."

4 Comments:

Blogger Y said...

Hi, i was just curious about the quote. Who's it by?
(Great blog by the way)

10:09 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

I think I adapted if freely from something I read in a psych textbook....

11:44 PM  
Blogger Y said...

um.. weird, I was almost certain I saw it somewhere before. Oops..

sorry for being so random. I am not a psychopath stalking your every word waiting for the opportune time to steal your purse in a dark alleyway. i'm just a friend of nazlee's and I happened to stumble upon your blog while trying to pull myself out of boredom some time ago. cheers.

11:18 AM  
Blogger A. D. said...

Don't apologize for being random. I'd like to embrace the randomness, at least here on the interweb...

Cheers!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home