Sunday, January 23, 2005

Demons

I love the snow. I miss no opportunity to write about it as it is falling, and also as it melts and pisses everyone off, as the anti-snow salt ruins my clothes and so on. So why is it that I did not leave the house today and frolic in that snow? I can offer no explanation except some potent neuroses coming together to keep me on their leash. The inertia I feel every weekend is irrational, but very powerful. I can offer no explanation for it (though I suspect it has to do with 1) my upbringing experiences and 2) my utterly ineffective coping/dealing/stress reduction strategies). Instead, I just sit here and try to record it as dispassionately as possible.

Maybe I should stop calling them neuroses. For the more theologically inclined out there, I'd like to get a feel on what they think of our psyhological explanations. Different perspectives break ruts. I know I sure need something like that. Give me some Old Testament explanations. I may not believe them, but I would consider them more that one would think. Because in acknowledging my powerlessness over a situation I become more open to help, I am in fact somehow increasing my own power. This is veering into cliche, but I need that. My voice has atrophied today.

And now for something completely different: "Some philosophers have argued that not-p, on the grounds that q. It would be an interesting exercise to count all the fallacies in this "argument". (It's really awful, isn't it?) Therefore p."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home