Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Lest I forget

I've been writing a lot more stream of consciousness rants. No structure. No intent. Just volume. I guess it's some sort of misguided attempt to reflect how our society is structured. But who wants to read about our society. Maybe I'll just go back to belabouring the beauty of trees--throw some Victorian language, and people think you're a poet! But SOC has destroyed my ability to form coherent strings of sentences. Damn allure of mindlessness. Today I gave a short talk to a group of people in one of my tutorials, and I was stunned that nobody understood. It was my fault, of course, for I had forgotten how to make things clear, or how to talk with a point, or how to talk without being deeply in love with one's phrases. I think that's been reflected in the mass of non sequiturs in the last entries. I thought it might have been the alcohol, but I think it's a habit of mind. So, how do I break it? Intense Zen focus? But wouldn't that just result in both beautiful arguments and incoherent messes at once? I don't know; this is not my field.

For some reason, children's literature is coming to mind. I know that my most promising effort to renew and expand my French skills has come from watching children's shows. I suppose talking to children forces on to boil down a large amount of material into something simple. It enforces good habits of thought. Damn, those children can teach us a lot.

Purposely butchered quote: "the alternative to thinking in [sentences] is not to think at all. Callow funicular Felix Dobzhansky oyster."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, i just started my children's literature course yesterday! it looks really cool, and last night i couldn't fall asleep because i was thinking about what to say on my first assignment. which is a very rare occasion for me. oh and by the way there is a guy in my class who looks like he could be your, and/or Jesus's brother. is your feminism class a soc class?

swig

10:02 AM  
Blogger A. D. said...

Is the guy a really thin-faced Serbian guy. He's my evil twin. Man, his chin is so sharp you could chisel out statues with it.

Yeah, Women's Studies is definitely soc. I've reached the point now where my classes are starting to directly contradict each other, forcing me to choose where I stand. Right now it's Evolutionary Psych. versus Women's. That'll be... fun? Or debilitating.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://qnpzwqow.com/tzpw/eywl.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://rycejpjx.com/ennb/glvt.html]Cool site[/url]

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://qnpzwqow.com/tzpw/eywl.html | http://bsfoonoz.com/zggy/asme.html

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home