Saturday, January 08, 2005

Balls of fur coming in from the cold

Imagine my surprise when yesterday my parents arrived home with a kitten! Now, I had spent months trying to convince them to get one this summer, and they were opposed. It is a nice kitten: a tiny Persian that weighs next to nothing and is afraid of everyhting. The naming of this kitty was the most problematic part of settling her in; as it stands I might appeal the name we've settled on, as I feel it to be too much the product of committee thinking, framed by exchanges such as this one (modified because I don't have a photographic memory):

BROTHER: We need a name! The cat has only one name!
ME: Forgive me if I'm wrong, but right now it has no name to speak of.
B: She needs a name!
M: Can't we all call her different names?
B: No! She needs one name.
M: If there is a law of nature to that effect, please point it out for me.
B: Shut up!
... (perhaps I'm being unfair to my brother's thought process.)

Consider My Favourite Joke: "Q: How many realists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: One."

2 Comments:

Blogger suzy in sacramento said...

I WANT TO SEE THE KITTEN!!!!

i LOVE kittens. and i love persian kittens best.

so what name did you settle on finally?

~sanam

7:23 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

I thought the "nationality" of the cat might stir up your national pride.

As of right now, we're still at an impasse. My parents won't approve my suggestions, and I think theirs smack a little too much of typical cat names.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home