Saturday, June 04, 2005

Bay window

Some impressions from my new home in the student ghetto:

I've been thrust from my reclusive corner into the bustling human antheap. My bay window looks out on a street, and on the endless parade of "characters". People frop in with stories of amusement or harrowing hatred of life, sober and drunk, organized or stinking ot high heaven. You can hear the chiming of a distant windcatcher through the paper-thin drywall. buddhist monk saunters up the street, his Scottish beard flapping in the breeze; preachers of hellfire rise above the crowd not on soapboxes but puny-looking stepladders; nieghbours walk throuhg carrying chests of drawers leaving a trail of astral woodchips; babies shriek and I'm convinced at least two lines of cocaine are being consumed on this block; ceramic drums beat away against my ceiling; guitar circles gather and flounder on impulsive solos filled with dissonance. I am an intensely impractical person, but I had to assemble furniture--not intuitively assembled furniture, either. Tour buses occassionally pass; they get a good view of the hole under my room where they're digging out a new basement, apparently trying to turn this unassuming looking house into a grand subterranean tenement.

Consider: "..why is it that most of the people who are against abortion are people you wouldn't want to fuck in the first place?"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dad mentioned something today called Freakonomics...the science of discovering very uncomfortable hypotheses from existing data. he mentioned that they found that the declining crime rate, which is of course pretty hard to explain, coincided well with the fact that 10-15 years previously, abortion restrictions were lifted. makes you think....

welcome to the blue house.

swig

11:58 PM  
Blogger linda said...

Being a spoiled rat, and trapped in suburbia all my life; I Have never lived in one of them Ghettos!!!!
But read about them all my life..
reminded me of one of those charles dickens Novels...
"East Of London,,"
Yeah I wouldn't fuck John Ashcroft either.. 0r Condi Rice for that matter (who is dare to fuck her??)

4:14 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

It's a madhouse here. A cauldron. An opium den without the opium, and so on.

Maybe I should pick up that Dickens and slog through it to ascertain what I'm supposed to be observing. Seriously.

Cheers!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://yomvctin.com/cske/mchj.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lzgibozs.com/ukqj/ejwc.html]Cool site[/url]

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://yomvctin.com/cske/mchj.html | http://wjemundi.com/wwon/afhx.html

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home