Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Segues

This has been a week of the strangest shifts in mood and circumstances. I've gone from ridiculous exuberance to formless anxiety, gone from feeding the cat to listening to interesting but uncalled-for facts from people's personal lives, gone from sitting in front of the TV like some exalted vegetable to scurrying up the steps of institutions feeling all jittery and sinister and successful.

Nothing but life experience can really make us interesting people. What most people miss is that the experience does not have to come from personal experience. Sometimes listening very hard and carefully is good enough. I have nothing specific to add to this--yet.

I've been considering adding an irrregular feature to this "blog", this organically growing electronic beast that runs me more than I run it. But I digress. I've been thinking of posting one-paragraph summaries of great works of literature I finish. It'll get me reading more and allow some people to comment on my interpretation. Ideally. Currently I'll see if I can compress all eight hundred monstrous pages of The Brothers Karamazov into 200 words.

Consider: ""Nature does nothing uselessly", said Aristotle. Bullshit! I like calling bullshit."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home