Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Diets and stalemates

I suppose it's a well-known fact that a majority of blogs tend to peter out, but I submit there is nothing sadder than stumbling upon a derelict, long-neglected diet blog with entries such as "tonight is Jan's party, but I'll be sure to keep to the diet; I've made so much progress" dated March 15, 2002.

On an unrelated note, I think I did a bad thing yesteraday. There is a snack kiosk at my university that actively and exclusively employs mentally challenged people. So I approached the teller and bought myself someting. It came out to $1.08. Now, I wanted a dollar back, so I gave the nice lady $2.10. I immediately regretted it. She looked at me, clearly not understanding, then getting confused, then mulling this unusual situation. I didn't know what to do, because I didn't want to be patronizing. She knew how to do her job, I reasoned. Eventually, her boss intervened to break the stalemate by walking her through the process in much the way we play peekaboo with children. I left with a bitter taste in my mouth (as well as the taste of what I had bought).

There's a lesson in all that. But is it positive or negative?

Consider: "if the probability of an event occurring is not zero, no matter how small, it will occur given enough time. The problem is, the universe does not have enough time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home